Wednesday 13 March 2013

WIP Wednesday - In love with feathers!

Kayleigh's quilt is coming along really nicely.  I am in love with quilting feathers, it is so much fun and it looks soooo pretty!  I've been trying to let the feathers go in different directions to not have them all point in one way, so at some places there are quite a few swirls to fill the space.

I have also found that quilting the feather towards me (starting the 'stem' at the top, stitching the point of the feather to me) that my feather ends up more 'rounded' and the loops of the feather are bigger too.  Depending of the bulk inside the throat of my machine, I now try to stitch it that way.  I like when the feather appears 'fat' rather than 'skinny', LOL.

I have a little space space left then its just the binding and I'll be done.  This little quilt came along surprisingly fast. 


I am also working on my hexies these past few nights.  I now have 248 hexies pieced.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to make with these, except that it feels good using up all my scraps.  



Remember, today is your last day to enter for my giveaway, I have reached a 100 followers, yee-ha.

I am linking up to WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced.

Happy quilting.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

wow dit lyk mooi !

Unknown said...

genade marelise dis darem maar baie werk so quilt maar dit is die pragtigste kleure die kombersie daar bo!

Fleurette said...

Beautiful quilting!

Lorna McMahon said...

I appreciate how you described your method of quilting the feathers, Marelize. All those little tips help a person like me, who have sew little experience free motion quilting!

Darcie said...

I love hexi's for using up scraps...it is pretty satisfying knowing you are using all those tiny pieces. :)

Leanne Parsons said...

I love your feathers. Great job. I laughed when I read about your hexies - I have a growing collection of hexie flowers and I don't know what I'm going to do with them all either!

Anonymous said...

Lovely pile of Hexies & your quilting feathers look amazing.

Fun, Factual, Weird, and Breathtaking said...

Beautiful quilted feathers! Thanks for the tips! I need all the help I can get!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...