Thursday 6 March 2014

Simple Crochet Cushion - Tutorial.


We have not seen blue skies for almost a week now, its been raining almost non stop for days.  For most being stuck indoors, no sunshine in days it can be quite depressing, but not for me!  I love rainy days, any excuse to cuddle, watch some dvd's, eating soup and pancakes.  I love it!  It can be challenging keeping a almost 3 year old entertained, especially when her most favorite time of the day is to play outside.  So for her sake I hope it clears up soon, but as for me, I wont mind having another week of rain...

As for what I've been up to this past week, well the weather was perfect for a bit of crocheting.  So I've made a few cushions to brighten up my sewing room, and thought of showing you how I made them.


What you will need:

3 x 50g Cotton Yarn in different colours of your choice.
3mm Crochet Hook (US - , UK 11)
+- 17 Inch Square Matching Fabric for the back, and the same size lining fabric
Cushion Filling
Matching Thread

Crochet Terms.
(These instructions are written in UK terms, American terms written in red)

UK / US
ss - Slip Stitch (Slip Stitch)
ch - Chain (Chain)
dc - Double Crochet (Single)
htr - Half Treble (Half Double)
st - (Stitch)

I used a heavier weight yarn and larger hook for the pictures below, to show up better.


Start with a chain of 5 and join in to a circle with a ss
Round 1.  Ch 1 (counts as 1 dc), 11 dc in loop space (total 12 st).  Joint with a ss
Round 2.  Chain 1 (counts as 1 dc), 1 dc into same space, * 2 dc into the next st * (* repeat 11 times) Total of 24 st.  Join with a ss.



Round 3.  Chain 2 (counts as 1 htr).  1htr in next st * 2 htr in next st, 1 htr in the next 2 st * (repeat * 6 times) 2 htr in next st, join with a ss.  
Round 4.  Chain 2 (counts as 1 htr) 1 htr in same space, 1 htr in next st * 2 htr in the next st, 1 htr in the next 3 st * (repeat * 6 times), 2 htr in next st, join with a ss.  
Round 5.  Chain 1 (counts as 1 htr) 1 htr in same space, 1 htr in the next 2 st * 2 htr in next st, 1 htr in the next 4 st * (repeat * 6 times), 2 htr in next st, join with a ss

Continue this way, increasing the number of htr between the 2 htr on each side, you increase with 8 st on each round until the piece is approx 16 inches across.

Change yarn colours every, 2, 3, 4 or 6 rounds as you like to get a finish you want.  Fasten off and sew in  the loose ends.


To finish your cushion, cut the matching back fabric and lining fabric slightly larger that the crochet front.  Make a sandwich by placing the lining fabric behind the crochet piece, and the back fabric, right sides together on top.


Using your sewing machine top stitch the three layers together, carefully feeling your way just to the edge of the cushion.  Remember to leave an opening to turn the bag right side out, secure it properly by back stitching your start and finish.


Turn the bag right side out and start filling the cushion.  Hand sew the opening closed and add a button, securing it properly.




I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will be making some crochet cushions of your own.


* My posts delivered to you *

 photo rss_zps514fcff1.png    photo bloglovin_zpsb177e45f.png    photo mail_zps60f67007.png


 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice pillows, thank you for a lesson!

MalinisQuilts said...

These are fabulous! For some reason I feel crochet takes along time. I got yarns couple of years back when my son was born, haven't used them yet!

Marilyn said...

Thank you for showing how to do this! They look wonderful and I would love to make some.

Varla Lee said...

Hello! Thanks for this wonderful tutorial. In this moment i
i'm doing some of this, but i really love this form and the colors that you used! I'm from Italy and i leave you a big warm hug ^_^

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Those are adorable and I never would have thought of putting fabric on the back! Thanks for sharing! Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Muv said...

Hello Marelize,
The cushions are really effective. I have never learnt to crochet, knitting was always my thing, but recently I have been thinking I might just have a go!
Love, Muv

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...