Wednesday 18 June 2014

Show and Tell

Earlier this year I was invited to the Carletonville Country Quilters' Regional meeting.  I was asked to show some of my quilts and to do a little demonstration on how I quilt on my home sewing machine.  I was welcomed with warm smiles and friendly faces, which made speaking and doing the demo much easier. 

Some of the quilts I shown on the day
I have to admit that I was a bit nervous to speak to people who has far more years experience in quilting than I have, but as I was showing some of my quilts, I quickly realised that even with my little knowledge I had something to teach.  They where very interested in free motion quilting.  A lot (most) of them send their quilts to be quilted by others.  

I found that very surprising, but I was eager to show them what I have learnt.  As I was doing the demo, I had quite a lot of questions about the tools I use and my machine set up, and I had quite a few requests to show different free motion quilting designs.  

I was approached by many asking if I am at all willing to quilt their quilts, and I cant wait for the opportunity to do just that.    

When we reached the end of the meeting, Alta Pothas mentioned that they had a quilt, made by a former Chairlady of the Golden West Quilters Guild, Charlotte van Schalkwyk who passed away.  They where looking for a volunteer to quilt it for her husband.  I immediately raised my hands and offered to help.

This is the quilt I am going to be working on for the next couple of weeks... hopefully I will have it finished sooner!  I have not yet decided on what I am going to quilt, as that was left for me to decide.  Its nice having free range in what to quilt, but it has left me a bit undecided.


At least I have finished pin basting the quilt, so now I can start playing around on paper deciding what to quilt... 




I have to thank Alta for the opportunity to quilt this for them, for having me on the day of the 'show and tell' and I hope that this will be one of many more quilts I can quilt for others.


* My posts delivered to you *

 photo rss_zps514fcff1.png    photo bloglovin_zpsb177e45f.png    photo mail_zps60f67007.png


 

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your post! I find it difficult sometimes to be the expert in the room--when theres a ton of quilters who have been quilting for so much longer/better etc. I love to share my journey of quilting and love that quilters embrace that!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

It always seems like quilters are so welcoming and generous, and always appreciative of what other quilters share with them no matter their experience or skill level!

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

How fun! I'm sure that her husband will appreciate the quilt no matter what design you decide to use.

Crafty Ashley B said...

It is so sweet of you to quilt this for her hubby! I know that it will be beautiful!

ChristaQuilts said...

How fun that you got to do that! You have definitely come a long way in such a short time. Keep up the great work and inspiration!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Beautiful quilt. That has always been one of my favorite quilt blocks and I love how scrappy your quilt it.

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Congratulations on the invite for Show and Tell Marelize -- your work is always so beautiful and inspiring. Can't wait to see what you decide with the volunteer quilt -- its a special one and I have faith that you'll work wonders with it!!

Take care,
Karen

Quilting Tangent said...

Pretty quilt, like the scrappy design. 24Tangent "at" gmail "dot" com

Carmit said...

That's a beautiful quilt - I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job with it and look forward to seeing it.

Karin said...

What an honour to quilt this beautiful quilt. You are really talented in terms of design, so I am sure you chose just the right quilting design. Please share ...I am always interested in how other people approach this.

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

Such a beautiful quilt you get to work on! Whatever you decide, I'm sure that the husband will love it!

Unknown said...

Beautiful quilts!

Sandra Walker said...

Such a beautiful jewel-toned quilt, in a pattern I have always loved. Love the movement in it. How wonderful of you to do this, too, for a quilt that will no doubt be extra-cherished. Maybe you could quilt her name in a corner of the quilt somewhere...just a thought.

Carla said...

That was nice of you to offer. I'm sure he will appreciate knowing someone finished that for him.

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

What a pretty quilt that is! and how sweet for you to help out. Speaking in front of folks does stress the nerves a bit, but I know you are a pro so they were sure to learn a lot:)

FlourishingPalms said...

So glad you had a chance to share your beautiful quilting skills, and abundant knowledge with quilters. I'm sure you did a great job. I have learned over time, not to be at all surprised at how many quilters do not quilt their own quilts. Mostly it's because they choose not to take the time - invest themselves - in learning how to quilt, and then practicing. Learning to FMQ takes perseverance, and not many quilters are willing to do that. But we'll keep trying to get them to give it a go, right? How nice of you to offer to quilt this pretty quilt. I know you'll do a smashing job. Good for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...