Wednesday 13 June 2012

Quilt Along #17 - Circuit Board

I was so happy and eager to get back to the QAL with Leah and super excited to try out the Little Genie Magic Bobbin Washers.



Susan from Quixotic Crafter was so kind to send me 2 bobbin washers in the post, and when I got them I was so excited to try them out. Thanks again Susan, its a selfless gesture that I will never forget





Here is my practice block for QAL #17, you'll notice that I did not finish this, I gave up.  I broke 2 needles and I cant think why or what went wrong.  The circuit board design I found easy, following Leah's instruction made it simple to do, and would definitely want to use or try it again.  But before I sounded like a the worst mannered pirate out there, and I'm sure I did (luckily I was alone :-) ) and before I made some serious damage to my machine I stepped back and decided to stop all together.



My question to Leah is this:
I use a Bernina 180 Artista, and up to now I have had little problems free motion quilting, but after I put in the bobbin washers I broke two new needles minutes after replacing them.  Am I using it wrong?  What I did was, removed the little silver thingy that was in the bobbin, and replaced it with the bobbin washer and started quilting.  Should I have put that silver thingy back after I had put in the bobbin washer?


Happy quilting




13 comments:

Pat Merkle said...

What you did do looks wonderful. I can't wait to hear what Leah says for an answer to your problem.

Quilter said...

I just put my washer just under where the bobbin sits. I didn't remove any parts from the machine

The Thompsons said...

Your circuit stitch looks great! Hope you figure out the problem!

Danih03 said...

Oh girl, I'm glad you stopped. I would hate to see you damage your machine too. I don't think you're supposed to remove that silver thingy. My bobbin set up looks the same and I didn't know that piece would even come out of the bobbin casing.I just put mine under the bobbin as well. You're circuit board looks great, even with the problems you were experiencing.

June D said...

What you did looks great. When I put the bobbin washers in I just put it in the bottom of the bobbin case - I didn't disassemble anything - that probably is adding to your needle problem...
: )
June

Sue C said...

Marlelize, I also just dropped the washer straight into the bobbin case without removing any parts. Perhaps try leaving the little silver thingy in and trying again.

Sue C said...

Marelize, I do not have the same machine but I too simply dropped the washer into the bobbin case without removing any parts and have had no problems. Perhaps try leaving the little silver thingy in to see if it makes a difference. Good Luck

Sue C said...

Marelize, I do not have the same machine but I too just dropped the washer into the bobbin case without removing any parts and it worked fine. Perhaps try leaving the little silver thingy in to see if it makes a difference. Good Luck

Hettie Pringle /Stitchingmatters said...

Marelize, that little shiny thing IS your bobbin washer. The newer machines come out with these, so you really don't need the teflon one. These bobbin washers should only be used by people with older machines without the built-in washer.

Gerda said...

It can be frustrating if things don't work as you want it to. I still have a needletension problem if I have to make a curved line to the left. It's fine when i make the curve to the right. grrrrrrrrrr
Good luck with it

Sew Gramy Sew said...

I have used washers that my husband has made before, and I just put them under the bobbin. A good rule of thumb is don't take apart the bobbin case in this way, you will most likely always have problems unless you get it put all back together just right. Lots of headache till then. I would take it in and let someone put things back together for you.

FarahLin said...

Your circuit board FMQ looks great! Hope your problem will be fixed soon...

Christine-The Barefoot Quilter said...

I have a Bernina 640, and what you need to fix this problem is put the washer back in your bobbin case. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my thinking. The plastic piece is for people who don't have a washer built into their bobbin case. And even then, the plastic piece is a passing fad that will fade away once people realize they don't need it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...