Friday 12 April 2013

One down, two to go.

I am so happy with how this baby quilt top turned out.  This is the first out of three I'm planning to make.  I still have to get backing fabric so this little one will have to wait a while before I can start quilting it. 

Charm pack

I admit, I was a bit emotional while making this quilt top.  It's hard not to let your thoughts get in the way.  But I'm also proud of myself for making this decision (you can read more about it here).  Its not always easy finding ways to finally let the past go, but I'm certain that if I take this one step at a time, things will be okay in the end .


When it came to piecing the rows together I had to use a lot of pins to ensure that the lines match up.  

There is one block left and I think I will try to incorporate it in the backing.




Here is a tutorial I wrote on how to make the disappearing four patch quilt block.  Its really easy and I think it looks great with the white background fabric.

I'm not entirely sure what the standard is when it comes to sashing and border widths, so I cut the sashing 2½ inches wide and the border 4½ inches.  Before adding the sashing and border the size was 32 x 39½ inches, after adding the extra fabric it's now at 43½ x 51 inches.


I still have to think of a ways to use up these little charm packs, any ideas?


Happy quilting.



14 comments:

Kelly Vetch said...

That's really lovely! I enjoying seeing your tutorial and plan to make some of those blocks. Beautiful job!

Karin said...

Very cute...I love the simple, traditional look of this and the fabric is gorgeous.

SIMPLESEW said...

My response to your question is make some baby quilts and donate them to the womans shelter or ask your kids to help you find a charity, sometimes giving heals is what I have found. I am expecting gandbaby #6 in Dec, all going to be 5 and under, I cant sew fast enough. The mother is scared do to her past, but Gandma's not, I want another boy! He will have a good daddy, My Son! Thank you for sharing and journaling is healthy..

Schulz Family said...

wow that has been done so quickly. Awesome, the finished look is stunning

Sue Daurio said...

Love it!! Thanks for the tutorial! I'll definitely use that one :)

Erin Quinn said...

I really enjoyed your tutorial. And the quilt speaks for itself! It's lovely. I hope it has helped to heal :-)
E xx

Karen M said...

This really looks great. I can't wait to get started on my next baby quilt. Your design idea has settled that question for me. Thanks for sharing.

Julie @ The Crafty Quilter said...

Your quilt turned out lovely! You can always check the Moda Bakeshop for ideas to use up those charm packs.

Ally said...

I really like this quilt and thanks for the tutorial

Vicki in MN said...

Cute quilt and thanks for the tute, I have done the disappearing 9 patch but I will have to try yours now too :-) I have just made a couple of quilts using charm packs you can see them here http://knitbug2.blogspot.com/2013/04/quilts-quilts-quilts.html

Fun, Factual, Weird, and Breathtaking said...

This is such a beautiful quilt! I've never tried the 9 patch but enjoyed your tutorial. This one's on my list for the future!

Lynette said...

It's so nice! (and I think the standard for sashing and border widths is Whatever The Heck You Want) ;D

Ann said...

You're right. The colors look so fresh with white.

Jackie Kirner said...

I like this block. I've tried the disappearing 9 patch, now I'll have to give this one a go, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...