Wednesday 10 April 2013

WIP Wednesday - Charm pack baby quilt and a tutorial



I am the process of making a cute little baby quilt using the Bungle Jungle by Tim and Beck for Moda charm pack and white background fabric.  I decided to make all the blocks into the disappearing four patch block and written a step by step tutorial.


But before I get to the tutorial, just have a look at some of the cute animal prints, they are just adorable.

  

Start out by making a four patch, using four 5 inch pieces of fabric, two white and two print.  Make sure to press the seams to the dark/print fabric, once you have your four patch, press the seam in the middle to the bottom.

 

Nest the seams closely together, that way your block will have a perfect finish.

Cutting was a bit tricky since I don't have a rotary cutting mat.  So I worked slowly not to move the pieces of fabric while cutting, and because I'm right handed I had to really work slow while cutting with my left.  I got the hand of it soon enough.

Line up he ruler 1 inch below the
seam and cut all the way through
Line up the ruler 1 inch to the
right of the seam and cut all
the way through.
  
Line up the ruler 1 inch abovethe seam and cut all the way through.
Line up the ruler 1 inch to the
left of the seam and cut all the 
way through.
Your pieces will end up looking like this.  Now its time to swap around the following pieces.  Swap around pieces A with B, and C with D.  Rotate piece E counterclockwise once.


To ensure that your points match up perfectly you'll need to press the seam of block F towards the print fabric.


Now you'll assemble the block in rows, -top, -middle and the bottom row.  Make sure to press the seams as shown below in the directions of the white arrows.


Once your block is complete press the two middle seams to the outsides.


Make sure to press the seams correctly from the start that way the seams will match up perfectly.



Linking up to WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced.

Happy quilting.


17 comments:

Karen M said...

Thank you so much for sharing this great tutorial. I have a baby quilt on my to do list. I think I might have an appropriate charm pack. How big is the quilt you made this way?

Jenny Squawk said...

Very nice and simple tut. I've never seen a quilt like this before.

Lorna McMahon said...

Great tutorial, Marelize! I have never done the disappearing 4-patch. Thanks for sharing. PS. Those charm pack fabrics are sweet!

Sonia said...

Oh - I've not seen this block before, it's lovely and a great tutorial, and will be a fab baby quilt! Cheers x

SarahZ said...

Wow! Thanks so much for the great tutorial! Seriously, was just thinking of this pattern for a new baby due in November!!!!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

This is a gorgeous quilt!!

The Low Family said...

This is so cute, I can't wait to have a go at making the block/quilt for a special little someone, thanks.

Linh said...

This is such a great idea, thanks for post this tutorial I'm definitely saving it in my tool bag for a later date.

Schulz Family said...

this is gorgeous. I have seen the split nine patch before but doing it with two cuts makes it look very effective and trellised. Great tutorial. Thanks

Maria said...

I'm over from FAFF. I love this block. Thanks for the tutorial

JoyfulCreationsInWoodandWax said...

Marelize,

Thank you so much for not only sharing this GREAT tutorial you created, but for also sharing your heart. May God continue to bless you richly through your family and your love of quilting!

JoyfulCreationsInWoodandWax said...

Marelize,

Thank you so much for not only sharing this GREAT tutorial you created, but for also sharing your heart. May God continue to bless you richly through your family and your love of quilting!

JoyfulCreationsInWoodandWax said...

Marelize,

Thank you not only for sharing this wonderful tutorial that you have created, but for also sharing your heart! I love this block and am currently working on a baby quilt using the same disappearing four patch pattern for our grand daughter who will be born in July. May God continue to bless you richly through your family and your love of quilting!

Unknown said...

love it .It looks sew simple

Unknown said...

love it you make it look so simple

Sandy said...

that's fantastic!! Thanks for sharing!!

Joy said...

I have seen many tutorials for this block and have started making a disappearing four patch quilt. I hsve been having a problem deciding which way to press the seams. So thank you for your detailed description of how to press them. X

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...