Wednesday 21 August 2013

NEW look and some more cushions


For those of you visiting my blog regularly would have immediately noticed that my blog has a completely new look.  I have been thinking about making some changes, and I wanted it to be entirely different to what it use to be.  I do think it is cleaner and most definitely a lot less 'busy'.. 

I found a lot of helpful information from Karen's blog - Sew Many Ways.  Her blogging tips are always so easy to follow, with step by step picture instructions anyone can do it.  It is still a work in progress, but so far I am happy.  It took me the whole day yesterday playing around with layouts and different colour schemes, but in the end I decided to stick with green, it is after all my most favorite colour.

So... what do you think?  Is less really more?  


Well, when it comes to everything that keeps me busy in my sewing room, more is definitely what keeps me most productive.  I have noticed that when I keep busy with more than one project, that it drives me to do even more. 


..and that is just fine by me!  As mentioned last week, I pulled out pieced blocks I made some time ago, not knowing what I was going to do with them, and ended up making a quilted cushion.  Now I have four.    


Sewing in zippers are definitely a new experience, after looking at a few tutorials on the web, I decided in the end, it is a lot less scary than I thought.  I followed along this tutorial, but instead of adding the zipper to side of the pillow I had sewed it right in the middle of the backing fabric.  It is not ideal, but since the blocks were pieced using a ¼ inch seam allowance I did not want to loose the size of the outside piecing.  I think in the end it would have influenced to look too much if I had worked on a larger seam allowance.


I am glad I got to make use of those blocks, and the end result is just beautiful.. even if I have to say so myself.

Happy quilting.

33 comments:

Lorna McMahon said...

Your new cushions are sweet! Good for you tackling the zippers. The pictures are awesome, too!

Rene Sharp said...

It's looking fabulous Marelize!!!!! GREAT new look. And these cushions are just perfect, LOVE them, I need to make new cushions for my lounge. Where are you going to use these? Have a nice day :)

Nilya said...

Love the pillows and your blog Looks great!

Schulz Family said...

Love the look of the blog. That is a stack of pillows!!!

Made by Mrs Jones x said...

Great new look to your blog, and the cushions are lovely.

Carolyn said...

Congrats on your new look blog. I really like it and as you say, it is clean looking. Your cushions are so nice and cheery - also "clean" looking with the white sashings. Great work!!

Katie said...

I hadnt seen your blog before but it does look great. :-)

Anonymous said...

Love the cushions and the blog too!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

YES. LESS IS MORE. I noticed it yesterday and was glad to see the change. :) Nice cushions and photos, the DOF Is sweet. :)

Sarah @ Georgia Girl Quilts said...

I love the new look. I've been thinking of simplifying my blog page too. You've inspired me. I'll start working on it after I finishing this morning's post.

ChristaQuilts said...

Yes, I like the clean look of your blog. And those pillows are just to die for ;-)

Ava said...

I love your pillows.

Míša said...

Beautiful pillows! Great job!

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

Oooh! Love the new look! So fresh and clean:) great pics of those pillows too:)

Anonymous said...

The blog is looking great! I love the green with the clean white background.

Liz said...

very nice pillows. I like the stippling quilting on them. This is my first visit to your blog, but I really do like the clean, uncluttered look :)

Sandy said...

awesome job!!! and I love the wicker chest they are sitting on!!

Sandy said...

Love the new look of your blog too!!!

Unknown said...

Looks great! The pillows and the blog! Love it :)

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

I love the new look and I'm so glad that you found the Quilting in the Rain tutorial helpful!

Beth said...

I love the look of your blog and the pillows look great!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

I love the new look Marelize!! It's fabulous! Do you have new button for Anything Goes as well? I'll be sure to grab it if you do!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Awesome pillows Marelize! Putting a zipper in them - well that is over the top! I fussed with Envelope Pillows recently and love how quick and easy they are (the lazy way out). Check out my blog for a tutorial when there is no time for a zipper! Love the blog design too! And thanks for the blog tip link!

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

You have been busy between making those wonderful pillows and revamping your blog! It looks great too!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

I'm so glad you shared this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

straythreads said...

hey I'm your 200th follower! great looking cushions. love your new look I've been thinking I should redo mine

Ann J said...

Love the cushions and the fabrics are great !

Ann said...

What lovely cushions!

Renee said...

Your blog looks great! Mine is in need a big over haul (including a new name), but I worry about how much time it will take. I will start on it soon...I think. Your cushions are very cute, I love them all stacked up!

Kathy Crofoot said...

I love your colors! Beautiful pillows.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What beautiful pillows and a great way to use up orphan blocks! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Conni said...

LOVE your pillows, they look great. I have been making pillows lately too, I think they look so great, and are a nice quick project to finish

SIMPLESEW said...

I am so critical of blogs and have seen Blog world change so so much lately, so dont take me to serious..I really like the green but I truly believe your banner doesnt show your talent.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...